On April 4, 1922, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) formally approved the establishment of the ASCE Lehigh Valley Section—a professional organization of local engineers who joined together to advance the engineering profession and enhance their own professional development. Two months later, in June 1922, 21 civil engineers gathered for the Lehigh Valley Section’s first official meeting at the Bethlehem Club.
In 2022, the Lehigh Valley Section will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding. The following events and projects are currently being planned by our 100th Anniversary Committee:
- Development of a commemorative photo book: “The Lehigh Valley’s Top 100 Civil Engineering Landmarks.” Please support this project by nominating your favorite civil engineering landmark for inclusion in the “Top 100” book.
- Guided tours and technical presentations addressing the Lehigh Valley Section’s six National Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks.
- Designation of the Bethlehem Steel Plant as a National Civil Engineering Historic Landmark.
- Collaboration with the National Museum of Industrial History to develop commemorative exhibits and present educational lectures about civil engineering in the Lehigh Valley.
- A variety of educational outreach activities with students from local schools.
- Formal release of ASCE’s Infrastructure Report Card for Pennsylvania.
- A gala banquet on December 8, 2022 to close the Centennial celebration.
Please join us for the culminating event of our ASCE Lehigh Valley Section 100th Anniversary Cele
• Keynote presentation by ASCE President, Maria Lehman, P.E., ENV SP, F.ASCE
• 100th Anniversary commemoration
• Recognition of Past Presidents and Life Members
• Opportunity to buy a copy of our 100th Anniversary Photobook
To learn more and register, please visit our event page.